Schedule your Annual Physical Exams Sunnyside, Jamaica and Jackson Heights, New York.
Even when you are alive and well, it is always wise to go through a routine examination every year to ensure your overall health. Here in Efficient Medical Care in New York –Sunnyside, Jamaica, and Jackson Heights, we have some of the best practitioners to assist you with your annual physical exams.
What is an annual physical exam?
An Annual physical exam or annual medical exam is the yearly tests you need to take in order to ensure that your body is functioning properly without any underlying health issues. Your healthcare provider will prescribe multiple preventive health screening to make sure you are healthy. This process is also called yearly physicals or annual physicals. We in Efficient Medical Care in New York –Sunnyside, Jamaica, and Jackson Heights give you the best possible service.
How to prepare for an annual physical exam?
Before appearing for an annual physical exam here at Efficient Medical Care in Sunnyside, Jamaica or Jackson Heights,
- Note down all the questions you have for your healthcare provider
- Write down any changes you experience regarding your health, diet, or any chronic conditions
- Make sure to bring your previous medical records and history
- List down all the prescribed and/or over the counter drugs you take
- Keep track of your menstrual cycle
- Get sufficient sleep to reduce anxiety
What does an annual physical include?
There might be some variations for your annual physical exam depending on your healthcare provider. But in general the exam includes the following:
- Your eyes, nose, mouth, ears, neck, and head will be examined for tonsils, lymph nodes and thyroid issues by our physicians.
- Your heart rate and breathing will be checked with a stethoscope.
- The abdomen will be checked for tenderness and liver size.
- Muscle tests for reflexes and balance.
- Lab tests such as complete blood count (CBC), blood chemistry panel and urinalysis
- Mental Health Counseling
Let us dig deeper into what to expect during an annual physical exam or annual medical exam at Efficient Medical Care in Sunnyside, Jamaica or Jackson Heights.
Appearance and demeanor: The healthcare provider for your annual physical exam will see your general demeanor and your physical appearance. Your mobility and reflexes can give out your physical and mental health status just by your annual physical exams and talks. The physician might also examine your skin.
Health history: For your annual medical exam, the physicians here at Sunnyside, Jamaica, or Jackson Heights will ask you about your food habits, workout routines, and whether you consume alcohol and smoke. Also, you will be asked if you have had any bodily changes, any surgeries or any other medical procedure. Do not forget to elaborate your family health history too.
- Blood pressure: A blood pressure that is 120 systolic and 80 diastolic or lower is considered healthy. Higher than these in your annual medical exam are regarded as high blood pressure. If your blood pressure is higher than 140/80, your physicians in Sunnyside, Jamaica, or Jackson Heights may ask you for a lifestyle change.
- Heart rate: A heart rate between 60 to 100 is regarded as a healthy heart rate. But your overall health condition may still be fine with a pulse lower than 60. A physician will measure your heart rate by placing two or three fingers on the inner side of your wrist. Also, a stethoscope is used to listen if you have irregular heartbeats or heart murmurs. If you have a family history of heart diseases or you are aged over 65, the physician might recommend you an electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Respiration: Respiration rate is the number of breaths you take per minute. Taking 12 to 16 breaths a minute is an indicator of healthy lungs. If your respiration rate is more than 20 per minute, you may have a heart or lung issue.
- Temperature: The ideal temperature of humans is 98.6 degree Fahrenheit. However, it can be slightly higher or lower.
Head and neck exam: For your annual medical exam, your healthcare provider will examine your eyes, nose, ears, and mouth to look for tonsils, lymph nodes or thyroid issues.
Lung exam: Our healthcare providers in Sunnyside, Jamaica, and Jackson Heights will use a stethoscope to listen when you breathe to make sure that your lungs are healthy. If there is any crackling or wheezing sound, it is an indicator of underlying lung problems.
Abdominal exam: For your annual physical exam, our physicians in Efficient Medical Care in New York –Sunnyside, Jamaica, and Jackson Heights use an array of exam techniques including tapping your belly to detect liver size and the presence of abdominal fluid, listening for sounds from your bowel with a stethoscope, and palpation for tenderness issues.
Neurological exam: Muscle strength, nerves, balance, reflexes, mental state etc are checked for a neurological exam.
Preventive Health Screenings
Health screenings in Efficient Medical Care in New York –Sunnyside, Jamaica, and Jackson Heights involve physical tests, blood tests, or imaging tests depending on the type of screening. It can also be routine tests depending on health history and risk factors. Preventive health screening is of two types –cancer screening and screening for other diseases.
- Cholesterol screening: Cholesterol is a waxy substance which, if high, points to heart diseases. If you have a family history of heart disease and are at risk, you might need a cholesterol screening.
- Diabetes and prediabetes screening: For your annual physical exam, if you have a slow-healing bladder condition or similar issue, you will need to provide your blood sample to check your sugar level to see if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic.
Why do I need an annual physical exam?
- You can ask the questions you want to ask our medical care providers that are not worth an entire appointment during your annual physical exam.
- Your overall well-being is measured and you do not need to stress about your health for a whole year.
- If problems like cancer or any other long-term disease appear in your body, you can detect them early and thus start the treatment.